Tuesday 22 September 2009

Doll Face


I have just watched 'Doll Face' by Andy hoang. My first view of the short film was different from my second and third. My first thoughts were it was quite boring, repetetive and simple. I then began to think about the film in depth. Why the author produced this? What does it represent? It then dawned on me that this film is very deep and represents many peoples lifes in the modern world.

The craft involved is very technical. The amount of detail involved and programming involves a lot of skill. The body of the robot has been programmed and drawn on a computer while the face is human. Towards the end of the film you can see the complexity of programming taken to make this. The body begins to extend to reveal amazing detail from the robots body to the mechanical hinge at the bottom.

The concept behind this clip is not completely clear but my view is based around the media pressure towards the public. Magazines have photos of models that have been digitally edited with software so it is impossible to match their standards. People go to extreme lengths for beauty such as spending hundreds of pounds on makeup and some even spending thousands on plastic surgery. In the clip the robot keeps improving herself until she trys so hard she 'smashes'. This clip sums up the media produced dilemma

1 comment:

  1. Really good stuff Ryan. I want you to get to the bottom of the concept, what is it about? What does it symbolise?

    ReplyDelete